Power steering pulley pullers are essential tools for any mechanic or DIY enthusiast looking to replace or repair a power steering system. These handy devices help remove the pulley from the power steering pump without damaging any components. With so many options on the market, finding the right power steering pulley puller can be overwhelming. That’s why we’ve researched and compiled a list of the 10 best power steering pulley pullers in 2023.
In this article, we will review each product, highlighting their features, pros and cons, and ultimately help you make an informed decision on which power steering pulley puller is right for your needs.
Table of Contents
Best Power Steering Pulley Puller
A power steering pulley puller is a tool used by mechanics to remove the pulley from the power steering pump. This tool is essential in certain vehicle repairs, such as replacing the power steering pump or performing maintenance on the power steering system.
With a variety of options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the best power steering pulley puller. To help you make an informed decision, we have listed the 10 best power steering pulley pullers below:
1. GearWrench 41500D Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller
This tool is designed to fit most common power steering pump pulleys, including the GM, Ford, and Chrysler models. It has a durable carbon steel construction, making it strong enough to withstand high forces without bending or breaking.
2. OTC 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer Kit
The OTC 4530 is a complete kit that includes both a pulley puller and an installer. This makes it easy to remove and reinstall the power steering pulley without any additional tools. It is compatible with most domestic and import vehicles.
3. AB Tools-Neiko Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller
This heavy-duty puller is made from high-quality heat-treated steel to provide maximum strength and durability. It has a universal design that fits most GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles. The kit also includes an extra-long forcing screw for added convenience.
4. Powerbuilt 641322 Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller Kit
This complete kit includes a variety of installation tools, making it suitable for a wide range of vehicles. The puller has a sturdy construction and can withstand high forces without any damage. It also comes with a storage case for easy organization and transportation.
5. Lisle 39000 No Slip Power Steering Pulley Puller
The Lisle 39000 features a unique “floating” grip that prevents slipping on the pulley. This design provides a better grip and reduces the risk of damaging the pulley during removal. It is compatible with a variety of different pulley sizes.
6. Ironton Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller Set
This budget-friendly set includes a puller and an installer, making it convenient for quick repairs. The tools are made from heavy-duty steel, ensuring durability and strength. It is suitable for most domestic and import vehicles.
7. Performance Tool W87022 Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller
Made from drop-forged steel, this tool is strong enough to handle heavy-duty use. The puller has a reversible design that allows for installation and removal of the pulley. It also comes with an extra forcing screw for added convenience.
8. Sunex 3905 Power Steering Pulley Puller and Installer Kit
This kit includes a puller, installer, and different size jaws, making it compatible with most car models. The jaw design provides a tight grip on the pulley to prevent slippage. It has a sturdy construction and comes with a blow-molded case for storage.
9. Performance Tool W87022 Power Steering Pulley Puller
This compact and lightweight puller is perfect for tight spaces and on-the-go repairs. It is compatible with most GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles and has a reversible design for easy installation and removal.
10. Lang Tools 648 Power Steering Pulley Puller
The Lang Tools 648 is made from heat-treated alloy steel, providing strength and durability.
Things to Consider Before Buying Power Steering Pulley Puller
When it comes to replacing a power steering pulley, having the right tools for the job is essential. One of the most commonly used tools for this task is a power steering pulley puller. This handy tool allows you to easily remove the pulley without damaging it or the surrounding components. However, not all power steering pulley pullers are created equal. Here are some things to consider before purchasing one:
- Compatibility: Before buying a power steering pulley puller, make sure it is compatible with your specific vehicle. Some pullers may only work for certain makes and models, so it’s important to check the product’s specifications or consult with a mechanic.
- Quality and Durability: It’s always important to invest in a high-quality tool that will last you for years to come. Look for pullers made of durable materials such as hardened steel, which can withstand the pressure and forces involved in removing a pulley.
- Size and Design: Power steering pulley pullers come in different sizes and designs. Make sure the one you choose is the right size for your specific pulley. Also, consider the design of the tool and how easy it will be to use. Some pullers come with a long handle for better leverage, while others may have a shorter handle that might be more difficult to use.
- Ease of Use: The main purpose of a power steering pulley puller is to make the job easier. Look for a puller that is easy to set up and use. It should also have clear instructions and be user-friendly.
- Price: As with any tool, price is an important consideration. While it’s important to invest in a quality tool, you also don’t want to overspend. Do your research and compare prices to find the best deal without compromising on quality.
- Warranty: A warranty is always a great thing to have when purchasing any type of tool. Make sure to check if the power steering pulley puller comes with a warranty and what it covers. This will give you peace of mind and protect your investment in case of any defects.
- Reviews and Recommendations: Before making a purchase, it’s always a good idea to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other mechanics or car enthusiasts. They can offer valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.
Benefits of Using Power Steering Pulley Puller
Power steering pulley pullers are a highly useful tool for mechanical engineers. These specialized tools are designed to remove power steering pump pulleys from their drive shafts with minimal effort and in a safe manner. Here are some of the benefits of using a power steering pulley puller:
- Time-saving: One of the main benefits of using a power steering pulley puller is its ability to save time. Traditionally, removing a power steering pump pulley was a complicated and time-consuming process. However, with the use of a puller, the task can be completed in a matter of minutes.
- User-friendly: Power steering pulley pullers are designed to be easy to use, even for those with minimal mechanical experience. They come with detailed instructions and are relatively straightforward to operate, making them an ideal tool for both professionals and DIY enthusiasts.
- Prevents damage: When using traditional methods to remove a power steering pulley, there is a high risk of damaging the pump or other surrounding components. Pullers, on the other hand, are specifically designed to remove the pulley without causing any harm to the pump or its surrounding parts.
- Versatile: Power steering pulley pullers can be used on a variety of vehicles, from cars to trucks and even heavy machinery. They come in different sizes and can be used on a range of pump sizes, making them a versatile tool for any mechanical engineer.
- Cost-effective: Investing in a power steering pulley puller may seem like an unnecessary expense, but in the long run, it can save money. By making the task of removing pulleys faster and more efficient, it reduces the amount of labor involved, ultimately reducing costs.
- Safer option: The use of pullers ensures a safer working environment for mechanical engineers. It eliminates the need for excessive force or hammering, which can cause injuries to the user or damage to the vehicle.
- Consistent results: Power steering pulley pullers provide consistent and reliable results. They are designed to evenly distribute pressure, which ensures that the pulley is removed without any damage or distortion.
How Do You Remove a Power Steering Pulley?
Power steering is an essential component of a vehicle that helps in easing the effort required to steer the wheels. The power steering pulley is a part of the power steering system that helps in transmitting power from the engine to the power steering pump. It is attached to the power steering pump shaft and is responsible for driving the pump to provide power assistance to the steering system.
Over time, the power steering pulley may wear out or become damaged due to regular use, causing issues in the proper functioning of the power steering system. In such cases, it becomes necessary to replace the power steering pulley. Here are the steps to remove a power steering pulley.
1. Prepare the necessary tools and equipment
The first step is to prepare all the necessary tools and equipment. You will need a power steering pulley removal tool or a power steering pulley puller, a wrench, socket set, and a torque wrench.
2. Locate the power steering pulley
The power steering pulley is usually located at the front of the engine, attached to the power steering pump. It is connected to the power steering pump shaft with bolts and can be identified as a large circular disc with grooves on its outer surface.
3. Loosen the serpentine belt
The serpentine belt is responsible for driving many of the engine’s components, including the power steering pump. Therefore, before removing the power steering pulley, it is necessary to loosen the serpentine belt. You can do this by using a wrench to rotate the tensioner bolt and release the tension on the belt. Once the belt is loose, you can move it out of the way.
4. Use the power steering pulley removal tool
Next, use the power steering pulley removal tool or a power steering pulley puller to remove the power steering pulley. This tool has arms that fit into the grooves of the pulley and a center bolt that screws into the power steering pump shaft. As you tighten the center bolt, it will push against the pump shaft, pulling the pulley off the shaft.
5. Remove the pulley
Once the pulley is loosened, you can remove it by pulling it off the shaft. In some cases, the pulley may be stuck due to rust or debris. In such cases, you can use a hammer to tap the pulley gently and break it free from the shaft.
6. Inspect and clean the shaft
After removing the pulley, inspect the power steering pump shaft for any damage or wear. If necessary, clean the shaft and remove any debris or rust using a wire brush.
7. Install the new power steering pulley
Finally, install the new power steering pulley by aligning it with the shaft and pushing it onto the shaft until it is firmly in place. Then, use the pulley removal tool in reverse to tighten the pulley onto the shaft. Use a torque wrench to tighten the center bolt to the manufacturer’s specifications.
In conclusion, choosing the right power steering pulley puller can greatly improve the efficiency and ease of your vehicle’s steering system. After thorough research and analysis, we have compiled a list of the 10 best power steering pulley pullers to help you make the best decision for your vehicle. From compact and versatile designs to heavy-duty and durable options, these pullers offer a range of features to cater to your specific needs.
Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a professional mechanic, these top-rated pullers will surely exceed your expectations and make your next power steering pulley removal a breeze. So, invest in one of these pullers and experience the difference in your vehicle’s performance today!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a power steering pulley puller, and why is it necessary?
A power steering pulley puller is a tool used by mechanics to remove the pulley from the power steering pump shaft without causing damage. It is essential for tasks such as replacing the power steering pump or performing maintenance on the power steering system.
How does the GearWrench 41500D Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller stand out among the options?
The GearWrench 41500D is designed to fit common power steering pump pulleys (GM, Ford, Chrysler). It boasts a durable carbon steel construction, ensuring it can withstand high forces without bending or breaking.
What makes the OTC 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer Kit unique?
The OTC 4530 is a comprehensive kit featuring both a pulley puller and installer. It simplifies the removal and reinstallation of power steering pulleys without requiring additional tools and is compatible with most domestic and import vehicles.
How does the Lisle 39000 No Slip Power Steering Pulley Puller prevent damage during removal?
The Lisle 39000 features a “floating” grip design that prevents slipping on the pulley, ensuring a secure grip and minimizing the risk of damaging the pulley during removal. It is compatible with various pulley sizes.
Is the Ironton Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller Set suitable for quick repairs?
Yes, the Ironton set is budget-friendly and includes both a puller and installer, making it convenient for quick power steering pulley repairs. The tools are made from heavy-duty steel for durability and strength.
What are the benefits of using a power steering pulley puller, as outlined in the article?
Power steering pulley pullers save time, are user-friendly, prevent damage to components, are versatile across different vehicles, cost-effective in the long run, provide a safer working environment, and offer consistent and reliable results.
What are the steps to remove a power steering pulley, as outlined in the article?
The steps include preparing necessary tools, locating the pulley, loosening the serpentine belt, using the power steering pulley removal tool, removing the pulley, inspecting and cleaning the shaft, and installing the new power steering pulley.
What factors should be considered before buying a power steering pulley puller?
Considerations include compatibility with your vehicle, the quality and durability of the tool, size and design, ease of use, price, availability of a warranty, and reading reviews and recommendations from other users.
Why is investing in a high-quality power steering pulley puller important?
Investing in a high-quality puller ensures durability and longevity. It can withstand the forces involved in removing a pulley, making the task efficient and reducing the risk of damage to the tool or the vehicle components.
How does the Performance Tool W87022 Power Steering Pulley Puller stand out in terms of design and construction?
The Performance Tool W87022 is made from drop-forged steel, providing strength for heavy-duty use. Its reversible design allows for both installation and removal of the pulley, and it comes with an extra forcing screw for added convenience.